W11 aerial (2003)
10 Rillington Place Web site logo 10 RP loc & house 10 R P period facade Bartle Road 1996 R P e r

Some photographs from the period

1946 W11 1RF

Above - an aerial photograph taken in 1946 by the RAF (with the location of Rillington Place indicated). By this time, Christie’s first two known victims were already buried in the rear garden of the property     RGB Aerial Photography © GeoPerspectives

NOF_11
10 Rillington Place 1953

Above - March/April 1953 and police constables guard the entrance to the house at 10 Rillington Place    (Getty Images)

10 Rillington Place (rear) 1953

Above  - the rear elevation of the house looking north. The single-storey part of the back addition contains the wash house where the wrapped body of Beryl Evans, and baby Geraldine, were discovered by the police on 2 December 1949.  (1953)                                                                                                                                                                (Getty Images)

10 Rillington Place (rear garden) 1953

Above - the rear garden of 10 Rillington Place facing southwest. The corner where the remains of Ruth Fuerst and Muriel Eady were discovered is undergoing excavation with sieving of the earth. A constable stands guard. On Monday 30 March 1953, eleven separate boxes and packages were received in the Department of Anatomy of The London Hospital Medical College where the painstaking reconstruction of the two sets of skeletal remains was undertaken.                                                                                                                                                                   (Getty Images)

CRIM1-2035 10 Rillington Pl wash house

Left - measuring only 54” by 52” the interior of the wash house at the ground floor rear of the house where the wrapped body of Beryl Evans, and baby Geraldine, were found by police on 2 December 1949.

These bodies would have had to have gone unnoticed for a period of over three and a half weeks, by the Christies, their dog Judy, and the landlord’s builders who had been working at the property (including the wash house itself) during that time, if it were the case that Evans had placed them there on  8th & 10th November 1949 as his second confession made to Notting Hill police had stated.

The National Archives (MEPO 3/3147)


John Reginald Halliday Christie

Above - John Reginald Halliday Christie

JRH & EC

Above  -  Christie with wife Ethel

JRHC police uniform

Above - Christie in the uniform of a special constable in the War Reserve Police

Timothy John Evans & family

Above - a picture of the Evans family, thought to have been taken by Christie and in the garden at 10 Rillington Place. Timothy Evans is on the left and Beryl on the right - the woman holding baby Geraldine is Evans’s half-sister Mrs Mary (Maureen) Westlake. (This picture is sometimes incorrectly captioned, and/or cropped, in such a way as to suggest that the woman holding Geraldine is Beryl).


10 Ruston Close

Above - more dreary and dilapidated than ever, the house at some time in the mid to late Sixties.            (Getty Images)

Ruston Close looking west 8th Dec 1970 KS1630_rv12

Above - early December 1970 and demolition is under way with nos. 6 - 10 on the south side of Ruston Close and 11 - 15 on the north side already partially gone. The few remaining occupants awaiting rehousing were justifiably aggrieved at the associated noise, smoke and dust. In 1968, forty-eight residents had petitioned the Borough to have the Close designated a “play street” for local children. The brick hood of the James Bartle Western Iron Works is clearly visible and remained so until its eventual demolition in early 1976.

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

Ruston Close south side 8th Dec 1970 KS1632_rv12

Left - nos. 1 - 5 Ruston Close on the south side awaiting demolition. The remainder of the terrace, including no. 10 at the far end, has already gone at the upper levels. The picture is dated 8 December 1970 but known to have been taken a week or two prior to that date. The street lamp visible outside no. 1 must be a theatrical prop left from the earlier location filming of 10 Rillington Place  as the Sixties-style concrete posts, such as can be seen in some of the pictures below, would have appeared inauthentic.

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

1_3RC_1970

Above - nos. 1 - 3 Ruston Close in 1970 as demolition in the street was progressing. To the left can be seen parts of the rear elevations of the buildings at 47 & 49 St Mark’s Road.                                (C Ritchie)

Ruston Close north side demolished section 8th Dec 1970 KS1633
3_5 RC_1970

Above - nos. 3 - 5 Ruston Close facing west. The corrugated iron screened off the area once containing nos 6 - 10 on the south side of the street and 11 - 15 on the north side where complete demolition of those houses had now taken place.                          (C Ritchie)

Left - The remnants of nos. 11 - 15 on the north side of Ruston Close as demolition progressed. In the background can be seen a signal, and fencing alongside the railway line together with the overhead lights on the Westway which had opened in July of that year (1970).

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

16_19 RC_1970

Above - nos. 16 - 19 Ruston Close on the north side of the street. Also clearly visible is the brick hood of the James Bartle Western Iron Works as well as the then newly constructed high-rise building on the Silchester Estate.   C Ritchie)

Ruston Close north side 8th Dec 1970 KS1631_rv12

Left - nos. 16 - 20 Ruston Close. The house in the centre of the picture, no. 19, was occupied by a Mrs Maud Allen whose family had lived there since 1941 - two years before the first known killing by Christie at no. 10. Mrs Allen was among the very last residents to leave the street.

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

The pictures below appear to have been taken by an amateur photographer and show the house at 10 Ruston Close in an advanced stage of demolition. The roof line of the houses in Lancaster Road is visible in the background. The date must be late 1970.

10 Ruston Close remains 1970
10 R C kitchen
10 R C alcove
Montage 10 R C alcove 1970 and 1954

Left - a picture taken from the roadway looking south showing what remained of 10 Ruston Close in late 1970. The house is substantially demolished but for the two-storey back addition which remains standing. Above Christie’s ground-floor kitchen can be seen the first-floor kitchen (of Mr Kitchener’s erstwhile flat) where, all accounts seem to agree, Beryl’s body was placed immediately after her murder and prior to removal to the wash house.

Also remaining is part of the front elevation where the entrance door was, to the left of the bay window of Christie’s sitting room.

The pilaster bears the two-tone colouring characteristic of the house during Christie’s occupation but subsequently over-painted. The earlier colouring was restored to give period authenticity for the location shooting of the film 10 Rillington Place  earlier in 1970.

(E E Woods, courtesy of R van Estrik)

Left - evidently taken from a position amidst the rubble and approximately in the location of the back bedroom, this picture looks into the ground-floor kitchen and shows the location of the small alcove to the rear where the bodies of Christie’s final three victims were discovered.

(E E Woods, courtesy of R van Estrik)

Left - this picture shows a close up of the alcove taken from a position either in or nearly in the ground floor kitchen itself. The rear wall of the alcove appears to slope forwards towards the floor which suggests its original purpose may have been the storage of coal. To the left of the picture can be seen the aperture which once contained the kitchen range, with the mantelpiece above.

(E E Woods, courtesy of R van Estrik)

Left - this last montage shows the picture directly above set alongside, and at approximately the same scale as, a police photograph taken in 1953 at the time of the discovery of the three bodies within. The earlier picture shows the door to the alcove open and, presumably, with the concealing wallpaper still adhering to its outer surface.


JRHC Putney arrest location 1953

Left - the location of Christie’s arrest on 31 March 1953 by PC V400 Thomas Ledger. The large building at centre rear is the well-known Star & Garter hotel and public house alongside Putney Embankment, just west of Putney Bridge and on the south side of the Thames. In front of the hotel is the single-storey Welcome Cafe outside of which the arrest took place. NB this is a different location from the Thames Embankment (which lies on the north side of the river, running from Battersea Bridge in the west, eastwards via Victoria Embankment to Blackfriars Bridge).

Below - a similar, contemporary view.

JRHC arrest site 2012

(J M Temple)


The KPH W11 (1968)
The Elgin W11 (1968)

Left - the Kensington Park public house in 1968. The closest pub to Rillington Place, this was the preferred drinking establishment of Timothy Evans. Situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove with Lancaster Road and something of a landmark, the building can be seen here still bearing the “KPH” signage from its days as the Kensington Park Hotel. Continuing in operation to this day, the pub remains extraordinarily unchanged from its former self both internally and externally: Link

(C Ritchie)

Left - The Elgin public house in 1968. The next closest pub to Rillington Place, this was the second preferred drinking venue for Timothy Evans. Situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove with Westbourne Park Road, it was then known as the Elgin Hotel. Once again, continuing in operation today, the building remains largely unchanged from its earlier days externally but internally has been much “gentrified”: Link

(C Ritchie)


Lancaster Road facing west (1970)

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

Above - facing west along Lancaster Road from the junction with Ladbroke Grove in 1970. To the extreme right is the Kensington Park public house (“KPH”). On the opposite corner is a construction site where the premises of Barclays Bank are now situated. In the background can be seen the then still new high-rise buildings of the Silchester Estate.

Below - the building at 103 Lancaster Road which can still be seen today. The distinctive Art Deco styling and date of 1933 can be observed on a façade that has apparently altered little in over forty years. To the right of this building in 1970 can be seen the arched entrance to the Royalty Cinema (please see below).

103 Lancaster Road W11 (1970) 103 Lancaster Road W11 (2011)

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

Royalty 1970(12rp)2

(Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea)

Above - the old Royalty Cinema at 105 - 109 Lancaster Road. Opened in February 1929, it was taken over by the ABC chain in February 1935 and remained so until its closure in November 1960. Both the Evanses and Christies were quite regular patrons of the cinema and Beryl’s brother, Basil Thorley, worked there as a projectionist for a time. Pictured here in 1970, it had been operated as a bingo club since 1965 before its final demise in the early seventies. After this it stood empty until it was eventually demolished and the land redeveloped as the Royalty Studios which opened in 1986 and continue to occupy the site today. The photographer’s location will have been directly outside the erstwhile San Remo café - please see in Contemporary Pictures.

[Home] [Summary of events] [Mapping] [Pictures] [Period] [Contemporary] [History] [Documents] [Mythology] [Links etc] [Guestbook etc]
© 2009-14  10-rillington-place.co.uk

(Revision: February 2014)